Development of Arandjelovac
Arandjelovac belongs to more recent towns in Serbia. It was founded during the first ruling of the Duke Miloš Obrenović in 1837 when he issued an Order on the construction of the streets and roads in the villages Orašac and Vrbica. In Vrbica, a street built at the foot of Risovača hill was the heart of a future town and a central point of the Principality of Jasenica. In 1840, Vrbica was included among palance (en. small towns) due to the fact that there was no other nearby town which could accommodate an increasing number of guests who kept coming here to try mineral water in Bukovik. By the mid-19th century, a headquarter of the district was moved to Topola, and Vrbica got its primary school and municipal court.
During the second reign of the Duke Miloš in 1859, Vrbica acquired the status as it used to have before. The same year, the Duke visited Vrbica and Bukovik and promised that he would build the church of St. Gabriel the Archangel at his own expense. On this occasion, he decided that the town should be named after the Saint and renamed it to Arandjelovac by issuing a written decree.
The 1866Act officially declared Arandjelovac a town.
In 1862 the town got the District’s house and a Reading room in 1869. The post office opened in 1871 and a year later the telegraph was used. A rapid development of the spa, which became one of the best arranged spas at this time, contributed to a cultural progress of the town. Park arrangement, Staro Zdanje Hotel (1872) and Steam bath (1875), the spa Kisela voda in Bukovik became one of the most famous European spas.
A quick economic development, natural resources and the growth of the spa encouraged the state to invest more in this part of Serbia. Most of the funds were invested in the infrastructure and as a result, in 1900, the construction of a narrow gauge railway began. In this manner, Arandjelovac was connected to other towns through Mladenovac. The railroad opened in 1904 for cargo freight and in 1905 for passenger transport. Although the railway routing from Arandjelovac to Lazarevac began in 1904, the first train started operating only in 1910. The development of railway traffic was closely connected to the economic growth of the town in which the production and export of dried plums was very important.
Balkan Wars (1912-1913) and World War I (1914-1918) stopped the further development of the town.